This is that classic appetizer that everyone loves, but kicked up a notch or five with the addition of some exquisite Peconic Escargot. The dip comes together in about 15 minutes - it really couldn't be easier. The fresh snails add a fancy and delicious nuance that'll instantly impress your guests. Make this quick, easy, and delicious starter tonight!
For the dip:
1/2 lb Shelled Peconic Escargot (picked meats)
1 Cup Chopped Frozen Spinach (thawed and squeezed of juice)
1 1/2 Cups Artichoke Hearts (chopped)
6 Ounces Cream Cheese (softened)
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan (plus more for topping)
1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (plus more for topping)
1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp Fresh Garlic (minced)
For the crostini:
1 Baguette or French Bread (sliced into 1/4" slices)
Salt and Pepper
Par-Cook Your Snails
You'll want to first par-cook the escargot, to tenderize them. Follow these steps:
1. Start the snails in a small sauce pot, cover with cold water or stock.
2. Add a generous pinch of salt.
3. Add aromatics if you choose (garlic, herbs, ginger, lemon, wine, peppercorn, etc…)
4. Bring the snails to a simmer. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface and discard.
5. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer gently for 30-45 minutes.
6. Transfer the entire contents to a shallow container and cool the snails in the poaching liquid.
Make The Dip
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
2. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or in a large metal bowl with a rubber spatula, combine all the ingredients. Taste for seasoning. Add salt if needed.
3. Spoon the mixture into a baking dish. You'll want the dip to be fairly deep. Choose a dish that'll give you at least an inch of dip after you spoon it in.
4. Sprinkle a little shredded mozzarella and parmesan over the top of the dip, and put it in the oven.
5. Bake until the center is hot, and the cheese hot top is melted, bubbly, and browned. About 15-20 minutes.
Make The Crostini
While the dip is baking, make yourself some crostini! You can also serve this with sturdy crackers, or even tortilla chips!
1. Arrange the sliced baguette on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
2. Bake for 5-10 minutes - just long enough to slightly brown and crisp the edges. Transfer to a serving platter.